Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Most Excellent Reading Buddy

I have heard that children gain confidence in reading aloud when they do it with a dog. The dog serves as their audience: a quiet, still, nonjudgmental audience. 


Tuna isn't a struggling reader, but when I brought her home from school, I noticed she lacked confidence in her oral reading. We're working on that, and we've already seen quite a vast improvement. 


I know that Tuna loves cuddling Diego while reading. She strokes his silky ears and curls up next to his warm body, and reads to him (and me). 

This little dude doesn't mind the attention, either. 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First and foremost, I'm so glad you have your beloved Diego!

Second, yes, I've heard that too about reading with dogs. The library on RAF Lakenheath actually has a program to facilitate that. Once a week or once a month (I'm not sure of the exact days), they have a reading dog. I hear it's a very cool program.

Most of us talk to our pets anyway, so why not read to them? Great idea, especially if it helps Tuna develop confidence in her oral reading skills!

Unknown said...

Thank you. I am so glad, too. I love that little dude so much. It was hard to be away from him for five months.