Wednesday, January 16, 2013

School-Free's the Way to Be

 I think we've settled into a cozy routine here. Thank you for the kind words left on my little blog, dear visitors. I didn't know anyone was reading. Let me first tell you that we have dropped schoolish math and have started doing a chapter of Life of Fred each day instead. I also have Tuna play some math games to reinforce her lessons a bit. 

Above is our stack of books we're using right now. We're pretty happy with all of them. 

We wrote. A Sentence a Day is a great grammar program. It takes five minutes out of our morning and it lets Tuna practice word choice, punctuation, run-ons and fragments, and more. Today, we covered the fact that supposebly is not a word. 


We made a pan of brownies for an edible solar system. Well, not we. She. Tuna did it all, including trying to crack open an egg in a  cereal bowl perched on the edge of our counter, without holding the bowl...

...which led to the egg landing on our kitchen floor. Almost all over the dog's ball. 

When our studies were done, we were forced to get fully dressed so we could go out in  public. Comfort is king at our house. Even during school hours.

I was asked today how I was enjoying homeschool and, "Is it hard? It's hard, isn't it." I answered as honestly as I knew how: No, it's not really hard. You get into a groove and it's quite fun, most of the time. I love learning alongside my Tuna. And she's loving it, too.

I'm glad we chose to withdraw Tuna and teach her at home. Being school-free is so much more peaceful, loving, and relaxing. I am a better mother for it, and she, a better learner. 

No comments: