Tuesday, January 29, 2013

On Nature Study

Nature Study. It's one of those homeschoolish things that I long to include in our day but often fall short of. I've resolved to begin adding more nature study to our days, but I don't quite know how it fits in. I mean, going outside to find something inspiring to look at, draw, and discuss just doesn't work for us. It's too vague. We need direction in nature study. Does that negate the entire idea of nature study?

We live in Germany, where it's wet, grey, and cold a lot. Like, almost the entire traditional school year. Going outside just isn't always appealing to us. Still, it's something I want to include in our days.

I'd love to take some plaster of paris out there and mold animal tracks. I'd love to sketch near a babbling brook.

But it's time I got honest and realistic about our time in the great outdoors.

Nature Study here is going to look like bird watching, star gazing, and rock collecting. In the fall, I hope to wax some leaves. I'd like to set up nature scenes in the house. And in the spring, I want to set up a patio garden.

But for now, it's cold and wet. So I bought some young plants and put them in a third-story window. And we made toilet paper roll bird feeders and hung them outside the window. Hopefully, birds will come and we'll remember to watch them.

Anyone reading have any nature study ideas I could implement in my little German village, preferably from home?

No comments: