| Here is Courtroom 600, the courtroom where the tribunal took place. It's been remodeled, of course, as it is still in use today as a courtroom. But the general sense of what it looked like was easy to imagine. The defendants sat in the box to the right of the large doorway. There's an elevator in the box for secure entry and exit of prisoners (can you see the door?). I've studied Nazi Germany for almost two decades. Entering this courtroom was emotionally overwhelming to me. I actually cried. I felt embarrassed for crying, but the flood gates were opened and I let loose. The feeling of being there is somber, tremendously moving... I don't know how to word the feeling. Just...go there yourself if you ever get the chance. |
1 comment:
What a great way to spend spring break! I think the beauty of living overseas is seeing what we can while we're here.
Post a Comment